07 November 2011

melbourne can certainly take the cake...

One of the things I love about living in Melbourne is the variety of mouth-watering cakes and sweet treats available on hand.  From cupcakes to macarons to high tea to novelty cakes, this post takes a look at all things sweet with some of my favourite and different treats from this city.

Brownie & Passionfruit
Chocolate Gateau
Le Petit Gateau, www.lepetitgateau.com.au can be found at 458 Little Collins Street and was introduced by friends Ti and Hannah who had their wedding cake made there.  I am working my way through the many irresistible cakes on offer at this French patisserie.  My favourite so far, hands down, is the 'Brownie & Passionfruit Chocolate Gateau'.  This cake has a brownie base, crunchy praline, passionfruit custard with chocolate mousse, covered with a smooth dark and oh so shiny chocolate ganache.  There is something about this combination that screams original, unique and delicious.  I have never experienced something so original or inventive in a cake.  From the presentation right through to most importantly, the taste, this cake never disappoints.

A slice of the Cosmoplitan
I recently tried a slice of the 'Cosmopolitan' which has a carrot cake base, white chocolate cheesecake and homemade raspberry jam.  The carrot cake base, including chunks of nuts, is relatively dry compared to the conventional carrot cake but when accompanied with the creamy layer of white chocolate cheesecake, it is barely noticeable.  The difference in textures make each mouthful a delicious delight.  The sweetness of the raspberry jam compliments and finishes off yet another amazing cake combination.

'Mocha' mini cupcake
Little Cupcakes www.littlecupcakes.com.au on Queen Street is one of my favourite lunchtime hangouts where a mini cupcake and coffee is a bargain at $4.90.  The selection of cupcakes on offer always make the choice difficult however my favourite is the 'Salted Caramel'.  There is something I love about the salty/sweet combination.  I do find that the moistness of the cake can be a hit and a miss.  There are times, and I have been there plenty, that the cupcake is crumbly however the icing never fails to be deliciously smooth and creamy.  Despite the inconsistent quality, when a sweet craving needs to be acknowledged, this place has always successfully satisfied.

Mini 'GO MO' cupcakes by Louise
Speaking of cupcakes, last week my colleague Louise brought me a homemade one.  I was very impressed with how it looked and it tasted even better.  It was a chocolate cupcake with chocolate butter cream icing and topped with decorative but edible flowers made of fondant.  So when Louise brought in cupcakes to fundraise for Movember, complete with moustaches, she didn't need to ask me twice to support the cause!


Salted Caramel macaron from
La Belle Miette

Macarons and Melbourne go together hand in hand.   Macarons can be found at many different places around the city and to be honest, initially I did wonder what all the fuss was about.  However these have to be, in my opinion, one of the greatest inventions by humans.  The crispness of the shell with the soft, chewy centre is always so satisfyingly good.  One of my favourite places to indulge in these wonderful creations is La Belle Miette www.labellemiette.com.au 30 Hardware Lane.  They offer a variety of exotic flavours such as 'Pimms & Pomegrante' or 'Olive oil and Vanilla' however again my flavour of choice is the 'Salted Caramel'.  The '72% Cocoa Single Origin Chocolate' macaron is also one of the most delicious sweet things I have ever had.  Each bite is "melt in your mouth" goodness.

Selection from the High Tea
dessert buffet at the Windsor Hotel
High tea at the Windsor hotel is a Melbourne experience definitely worth trying.  If not for the ambience and history, then for the dessert buffet that is covered with so, so many fancy delectable treats.  We had high tea in the Grand Ballroom where a five-tier chocolate fountain stands prominently as you enter.  The waiting staff genuinely advise you to sample a little bit of everything which I think is virtually impossible.  However from what I did manage to try, I was not at all disappointed.  From the mini creme brulee to, of course, the macaron, this was indulging at its best, albeit a little sickening after a while!  If it is a sweet tooth you possess, then you must not bypass having High Tea here.

Burger cake
And finally the burger cake. Yes, what you see pictured is a giant burger, that is a cake.  This cake was Ti's birthday cake and when his wife Hannah told me she was surprising him with a burger cake, admittedly I did not quite know what to expect.  Needless to say I was very impressed with the attention to detail and workmanship.  From the Oreos giving the pattie its texture, to the sponge cake chips on the side, the only thing missing was good old tomato sauce!  Even the red and white "napkin" base was edible icing.  The buns were made of plain sponge, the pattie was a chocolate cake and the the layers of cheese, lettuce, tomato and onion were icing.  The top of the cake was also iced with pinenuts to resemble sesame seeds.  To say a slice of this cake was huge, would be an understatement, however despite the size, I managed to finish a slice as it actually tasted great too.  Also, the novelty of eating a burger that was a cake never did wear off!

It never does fail to surprise me what can be discovered in this food mecca of a city.  One thing's for certain,  Melbourne takes the cake in offering some of the most delicious treats to satisfy any sweet tooth.

2 comments:

  1. That burger cake is amazing! How long did it take to make? Must be love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! My bad, I forgot to say the "Burger Cake" was paid for and made by Cindy Le in Melbourne. She operates a "word of mouth" business straight from her home kitchen! Such a pro!!!

    ReplyDelete